February 1, 2010

Mom's Tortellini Soup

On behalf of mom, I'm posting her recipe for Tortellini. I wasn't able to post pictures, but trust me, it looks delicious.


Ingredients:
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/2 large yellow onion
2-3 celery stalks
1 lb. Hamburger and/or Italian Sausage
2 cans diced tomatoes (undrained)
2 cans tomato sauce
2 cans water
3 bay leaves
1 TBS Italian Seasoning
2 TBS minced garlic
1 can kidney or cannelloni beans, rinsed and drained
2-3 chopped carrots
salt and pepper to taste
1 package Buitoni, 3 cheese tortellini
1 zucchini (optional)

Directions:
Heat oil (really any kind of oil will do) in large stock pot. Saute onions and celery. Add hamburger/sausage. Brown meat. Add everything else (minus tortellini and zucchini). Let simmer all day in crock pot or 2-3 hours in stove top. 10 minutes prior to eating, add tortellini and zucchini. Serve topped with grated Parmesan cheese. Enjoy!

5 comments:

Melanie said...

So I made this last night and LOVED it!!! It was delicious and so easy. So some things I did differently ... my diced tomatoes were sliced italian style tomatoes (they were all I had on hand). So I had the thought I could toss them in my magic bullet and make chunks ... well that didn't work out so well, instead I had minced tomatoes ... oh well. I did the same thing with my carrots. Apparently the magic bullet doesn't chopped so well. So my soup ended up being less chunky ... it was still delicious! Oh, and go figure, I didn't add beans. I actually had full intentions of doing so, but I was short on time at the grocery store, I have never bought canned beans before, they weren't where I thought they would be, and I didn't have time to search them out. I wasn't that disappointed about that though. Anyway, this was a big hit in our house!!

Jeffrey said...

Well I made this soup on Friday and then we didn't get to eat it fresh because all of Jeff's family was getting together for dinner. So we didn't get to eat it fresh. We ate it the next day after being refrigerated. We thought it was good, however I still think it probably doesn't re-heat very good. I love the tortellini though and over all think this would be a great soup. I made it out of hamburger because I didn't have Italian sausage. My one recommendation would be if you are going to make it with hamburger, then brown the meat in a separate pan and drain it before adding it to the soup. I think it would make it that much more healthy :)

On a unrelated- yet related note.. I made Dana's dinner rolls and I think I had near perfection. I'm not sure I let them rise the second time for long enough because I feel like the could be even "fluffier" than they were before. But DELICIOUS none the less...at least I think so.

On a less related note, if we have ANY readers, next week will be a special treat, I already have my recipe ready, but Mel and Mom and I will be making it together (haven't yet talked to mom, but I'm hoping this is the case)

Jeffrey said...

PS that was Jenn....I just forgot to sign Jeff out :S

Judy Stohl said...

All your recipes sound so yummy. I made tortellini soup for our FHE group on Monday. It is a little different but smelled and tasted so good. Love your blog!

Jennifer Karyn said...

I'm so glad you like it Judy :) It makes me happy to know someone else is reading it!