January 22, 2010

Cheesy Chicken Flautas

Cheesy Chicken Flautas-- taken from Lawrys.
Prep time: about 15 minutes
Ease: If I can do it then your dog can too.
Makes: Supposedly the recipe said 16, but ours only made about 10.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup Lawry's Mexican Chile & Lime Marinade with Lime Juice
1 pound boneless skinless chicken, cooked and shredded.
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese.
Vegetable oil for frying

Directions:
1. Mix sour cream and 2 tablespoons of the marinade in a small bowl. Mix chicken and remaining marinade in medium bowl. Set Aside.

2. Microwave tortillas, several at a time, on HIGH for about 20 seconds or until softened.. Spoon about 2 table spoons chicken mixture onto each tortilla. Top each with 1 tablespoon of the cheese. Roll up tightly. Secure with toothpick.

3. Pour oil to 1-inch deep in large skillet. Heat oil lto 375 on medium heat. Fry flautas, several at a time, 3 minutes or until crisp, turning occasionally. Drain on paper towels. Remove toothpicks. Serve with sour cream sauce and, if desired, guacamole and salsa.

I slow cooked my chicken all day with the marinade. The chicken was really moist and the flavor was throughout. I recommend doing this for sure!

Other than that I followed the directions.
They turned out delicious. In Jeff's words "it's a miracle" Meaning I actually made something that was good. He even ran some up to his parents. We loved these!!! So yeah. We definaly recommend this recipe. It seems like it could be more of an appetizer, but served with spanish rice and some corn bread (Jeff didnt think corn bread went with flautas, I beg to differ. I don't know of one thing that corn bread DOESN'T go well with.) it would be a great mexican dinner. Don't forget to buy Jarritos to drink with it though :) I bought Watermelon and Guava flavors. :)








5 comments:

Melanie said...

I just realized that in order for me to post pictures I'm going to have to expose my ugly kitchen .... I'm not too sure how I feel about that. I might have to get a little creative. Anyway, those sound delicious. I think I might have to try making them.

Melanie said...

Oh and when you said you slow cooked your chicken all day, was that in a crockpot, I'm assuming ...?

Jennifer Karyn said...

yes crock pot. i only cooked like 2 chicken breast so it really only took a couple of hours....not all day.

Melanie said...

Oh something else that I did to save on time, I just bought a rotisserie chicken and pulled it apart and tossed it in the marinade for 30 minutes.

Melanie said...

So last night I made the flautas and they were delicious!! I couldn't find Lawry's Mexican Chili with Lime marinade though. We checked 2 stores. So instead I used Lawry's Baja Chipotle with Lime marinade. I don't know how the original tasted, but thought it turned out great anyway. Another change - instead of using the whole bottle, I only used half. I thought it still had good flavor. I was just trying to save on calories. You think I'm crazy because the whole thing is deep fried. That's one thing that I would like to change in the future. I'm thinking about brushing melted butter on the flautas and then baking them or grilling them. They were delicious, but there has to be a better way to cook them so that when all is said and done you don't feel like there's a rock in your gut. All in all, they were a huge success last night!